My own way of frying chicken...
Write a review
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying...I like to use Lard but you may use any oil you choose
- Drain excess oil from skillet leaving about 3 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-3 cups milk depending on thickness desired for gravy
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken in a large shallow dish.
- Pour buttermilk over; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Drain chicken pieces; add to flour mixture, one at a time, and shake to coat.
- Shake off excess; let stand on waxed paper for 15 minutes before frying.
- Heat 1/8 to 1/4 in. of oil in a large cast iron skillet; fry chicken until browned on all sides.
- For the Gravy
- Add flour to oil drippings in skillet and stir to smooth paste and color starts to turn a cream color (you want to cook the flour)
- Add milk and cream a little at a time until you have the consistency you would like.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- I keep turning the pieces which seems to give a crispier coating
- Fry for 40-45 minutes or until juices run clear and chicken is tender
- Drain pieces on paper towel and keep warm in oven while making the gravy
Me and My Captain https://www.meandmycaptain.com/