I served this mashed potato recipe at our early Thanksgiving Dinner as the Captain would be flying and not home on Thanksgiving Day. We invited some friends to share the dinner with us.
The story behind this recipe is …. it is about 35 years old and was given to me by Dottie, our Pastor’s wife at our church home in Kansas. This was the standby recipe for holidays at the church’s fellowship hall because it could be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge til needed. I am doing something different by providing the recipe in Dottie’s handwriting. Dottie went to be with the Lord about 8 years ago and I miss her. She was a good friend.
- 12 large potatoes, peeled, boiled in salted water
- 1 pkg cream cheese (8 oz) softened at room temperature
- 1 carton sour cream (8 oz)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Mash potatoes with cream cheese, sour cream and onion powder.
- If needed add small amount of milk.
- Put into a 9X13 buttered casserole dish.
- These can be frozen or refrigerated until ready to use. When ready to serve, pour 1/4 cup melted butter over top and bake at 350 for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Sprinkle with Paprika.
- Note: I use butter but Dottie used margarine!