So easy to make and so good!
This recipe was adapted from a friend of mine who owned a small Italian restaurant.
Unfortunately, they are not in business anymore.
However, she was the real deal…if you know what I mean.
She made the best Calzones and Stromboli …and they are basically the same, although some Italians might disagree with me. 🙂
In fact a Stromboli is simply a pizza rolled into a cylinder.
Ingredients are your choice….
Place the dough on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and sprinkled with corn meal….I also added a little Italian Seasonings….your choice.
Yep….it is. So you can add any toppings of your choice. Above is hard salami.
Added a little thin sliced honey ham….
Now some mozzarella cheese….your call as to how much! ;0
Red peppers,, green peppers, hot peppers, Italian sausage, pepperoni…just what ever your little ole’ heart desires!
Roll it like a jelly roll….sprinkle with parsley, Parmesan cheese or nothing at all…..and pop it in the oven!
Below is a recipe that can be made with a prepared pizza dough…either from your favorite pizza shop (yes, they will usually sell you their pizza dough) or you can purchase prepared pizza dough at your supermarket. OR…you can make your own dough.
Dough can be as thick or as thin as you want it….slice it as thin or as thick as you want it….see how simple this is?
I have a Home Made Pizza Dough recipe if you would like to use it instead of purchasing one already made. click on the below link for that recipe:
However, you make your stromboli…add a garden salad, a glass of wine and sit back and eat at your leisure….literally drawing out the eating experience for a couple hours…just as they do in Italy.
And why not? 😉
- 1/2 lb of pizza dough (I like to buy it already made in the bread department)
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce (you can buy it already made or make it yourself)
- 1 1/2 cups grated Mozzarella cheese
- 6 slices hard salami
- 4 slices deli honey ham
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water to make an egg wash
- Dried parsley
- Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees while laying parchment paper on a cookie sheet.(lightly sprayed with cooking spray and lightly dusted with cornmeal)
- Place the dough on the parchment paper and roll dough into a 10X16 rectangle
- Spread pizza sauce over about 2/3rds of the dough, leaving an inch where the sauce starts
- Add half the grated cheese, salami and ham to the top of the sauce. Add the remaining cheese to the top.
- Brush the plain strip of dough (without the sauce mixture) and the inch around the sauce...with the egg wash to allow the dough to stick to itself.
- Start to roll, like a jelly roll, tucking in the edges... adding more egg wash if needed.
- When finished with the roll, pinch the top together and turn the roll over
- Brush the entire roll with the egg wash and cut a few slits about every 2 inches (be careful it might open more than you would like while it is baking)
- Bake for about 10 minutes until top is starting to brown and crisp
- Sprinkle parsley and finely grated Parmesan cheese over the top and bake about 10 minutes more or until golden brown Remove from oven, cool and slice into pieces.
- Serve with more pizza sauce if desired.
- This is where using parchment paper is really handy because you can pick it up to help roll the dough. The cornmeal also helps and I think it gives the Stromboli an additional crunch.
- This is sooooo yummy!