I know, I know…who would have guessed it?
I’m sure I don’t look a day older than 21 years young, but we won’t go there.
I won’t put my dear friends on the spot, even though I am sure THEY have gotten older, but not I. 🙂
Instead, let’s go back to our childhood when we used to buy those snack cakes for an after school snack and they tasted so good.
Well, at least in my memory, they tasted good…. but these days?????
Not so much.
So what is a girl to do?
You make your own of course and now I can say…
Ohhhhhhh soooooooo good.
Here is what these cakes look like now.
A little smaller and the flavor is just not there.
But I made some myself and they tasted really good.
Probably too good if you know what I mean.
There is no comparison really.
It wasn’t a lot of work to insert the filling, because I just cut a little cone with my paring knife and scooped the cream into the center.
You can get fancy and use a pastry bag and poke it into the the top of the cupcake, but I cut the little cones so I could eat the left over pieces of cone.
This is what is called customizing the cupcake to your preference.
That is the way any recipe should be.
You can use a chocolate cake mix if you prefer.
No judging here.
I did mix the marshmallow creme with unflavored gelatin, but you can certainly use the marshmallow creme straight from the jar. The texture will be a little different.
Also, don’t use marshmallow sauce…or it will be too thin. I used Marshmallow Fluff…just as an FYI.
The printable recipe is below.
Perhaps you don’t have hankerin’s for foods from your past….but I do.
I associate a lot of memories, good memories, of my child hood foods and perhaps that is where I get my desire to re-create some of them.
Unless, it is boiled Okra.
Bad experience there… which I won’t go into at this time.
Just suffice it to say, the memories there are not good.
And believe me, I think our nature is to wish for things the way they were….we are only human.
Since today is Scripture Sunday…I thought this verse in Numbers 11:5 appropriate as the Israelites complained about the manna God sent from Heaven.
“In Egypt we could eat all the fish we wanted, and there were cucumbers, melons, all kinds of onions, and garlic.”
Have a great and Blessed Day.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (pure)
- 3/4 teaspoon uflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (pure)
- 1 1/4 cups marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix cupcake ingredients in order given whisking well after each addition
- Place in a cupcake liner or a 12 cup muffin tin that has been sprayed with baking spray and floured
- Bake until toothpick comes out clean about 15-18 minutes and let cool
- Sprinkle gelatin over water in large bowl and let it sit until gelatin softens or disolves, about 5 minutes and then let cool
- Using microwave, whisk in marshmallow creme to the gelatin until smooth and add in the butter and the vanilla and put into the fridge for about 30 minutes to "set up"
- Microwave chocolate and butter in a small bowl, stirring to mix about 30 seconds and let the glaze cool
- Using a paring knife, cut a little "cone" out of the top center of the cupcake and fill with about 1 tablespoon of filling. Top with a sliver of the cone to allow glaze to cover.
- Frost with about 2 tablespoons of chocolate glaze and If desired, add a curlicue across the top with the marshmallow (in a pastry bag or storage bag)
- You can use a chocolate cake mix if you are pressed for time.