Definitely a Winner…First Place…. Cookie Recipe!
Several years ago, our local newspaper published this recipe for Apple Walnut Spice Cookies with Vanilla Glaze and let me tell you this cookie is a great tasting cookie….
Of course I haven’t met too many cookies that I didn’t like….
My Jigglies show that…
So here I am eating one of these gems for breakfast!
BUT! I am also drinking my “green stuff”…that should even out the calories in the cookies shouldn’t it?
Oh well, it’s the Christmas Season!
And my thought process is that the first week of January will definitely be the “GET SERIOUS” about healthier eating options and a regular exercise program!
Maybe, Maybe not….LOL
But if you are looking for a cookie to make, this cookie has it all…and chances are you have the ingredients right there in your pantry.
I know how busy you are…but this is a great recipe and definitely a first place, blue ribbon, number one, top of the line….
oh well, you get my meaning.
Enough talk…this wonderful cookie recipe follows: If you make it, let me know your thoughts!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup finely diced apples
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Cream shortening, egg and brown sugar in separate bowl
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture
- Add the milk
- Add remaining dry ingredients and mix well
- Drop by heaping teaspoon full onto greased cookie sheet
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes
- Drizzle glaze on top of warm cookies (see Glaze recipe below)
- I use parchment paper on my cookie sheet (sprayed lightly with Pam)
- Whisk together 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, 2-3 tablespoons of milk, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon of melted butter. If too dry add a little more milk and if too wet add a little more powdered sugar.
TIP: I only use pure vanilla….the extract just doesn’t cut it for me. But your choice. 🙂