Slow Cooker, Brisket With Onions…three of my favorite things.
Who doesn’t love a easy to make meal by simply tossing a few ingredients in a slow cooker or crock pot, setting it and forgetting it?
Did you raise your hand?
I raised my hand high.
With the weather on every one’s mind these days…it seems like one hurricane after another is popping up in the Atlantic Ocean.
Please no more getting so close to Florida, we are just returning to normalcy…if there can be declared a normalcy during hurricane season.
But I don’t want to dwell on the negatives, I want to talk positives and comfort food is a positive and if you don’t have to do much but toss it in a crock pot…
….well, that is even better.
A brisket is a cut of meat that can be a little tough which is why it adapts to a slow cooker so well.
It can braise all day long which tenderizes the brisket and if you make a large brisket….well it tastes even better the next day or two and the leftovers make the most delicious sandwiches.
The Captain and I happen to love horseradish with our brisket but some may find it a bit too strong a flavor.
I suggest using a horseradish sauce which is milder….and creamier.
You know like the kind you get at a fast food restaurant with your roast beef?
Yes, that is the one.
But if you are like us…just set the horseradish jar alongside the brisket and enjoy.
This brisket recipe can be made well ahead of time and kept in the fridge for up to a week as long as it is covered with foil or put in a sealable bag. I would advise to reheat it in a 300 degree oven until warmed through.
I love simple easy to make meals and this brisket with onions is no exception.
I place the onions and garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker and add the seasoned brisket on top of the onions and garlic.
Add the chicken broth and set it and forget it.
You can use beef broth but I like the flavor the chicken broth gives this piece of meat.
I like to serve this with mashed potatoes or egg noodles or a rice pilaf.
The left overs are great with a bar-b-que sauce and made into sandwiches.
Do you use your slow cooker?
Please pull it out of that cabinet and let it do the work for you.
Have a great and wonderful day.
- Beef Brisket (about 4 pounds)
- 2 onions, sliced thin
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth (you can use beef broth, but I prefer the chicken broth)
- Parsley and horseradish for garnish
- Place the onion and garlic in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Season the brisket with the salt and pepper and place fat side up on top of the onion and garlic
- Add the broth and cover the slow cooker
- Cook on high until the brisket is tender...about 12 hours on low OR you can cook on high for about 6 hours.
- Remove the brisket and let set for a few minutes before slicing against the grain for tender slices.
- After slicing, add a little of the broth to the brisket and top with the onions and a bit of parsley.
- I like using the slow on low method for cooking my brisket and a tip about slicing against the grain...if you are not sure which is against or with the grain. When you start to slice, if the knife has resistance you are going with the grain, the slices should be real easy to slice.
- Some like to trim off the fat before cooking but I leave the fat on to be sure the brisket is tender and moist as it cooks. You can always remove it before serving.
- (This brisket can be stored for a week if you keep it in the liquid, covered and refrigerated. Reheat in a 300 degree oven.)