Salt of the Earth Caramel Cookies, that is!
Sweet and Savory, are two of my favorite flavors and this recipe calls for both flavors…salt and caramel!
I don’t know about you, but I am a caramel lover.
Have you ever had someone pass a box of chocolates for your perusal and choice? Well, when I am offered a chocolate from a box of candy…My eyes dart from piece to piece as I search out that familiar square candy with a caramel center! Yum!!!
Sometimes I get fooled and bite into the square of chocolate coating only to find a thick fudgy center and my taste buds cry out in horror!
OK,… slight exaggeration…I eat the fudgy centered ones too, but I still search for the caramel centered ones. It’s kind of like that line from the Forrest Gump Movie…..“My Mama always said life is like a box of chocolates….you never know what you’re gonna get”
Back to cookies….this cookie does not have chocolate, but it certainly could.
You see, you place the cookie dough balls on the cookie sheet and add bits of caramel to the center of the dough…that is if you have any caramel left, I have to admit that I started out with 18 pieces of caramel,…4 cut from each caramel square, but did not have 18 pieces when it was time to dot the dough balls with caramel.
The point is…..you can add chocolate chips along side the caramel pieces to full-fill that chocolate craving if that is your desire….but I just wanted the caramel and salt. The sweet and savory taste.
Eat this cookie along with your cup of coffee or hot tea or cold milk and you will get a warm and cozy feeling each time you bite into a piece of caramel in this salt sprinkled cookie!
The handy dandy printable recipe is below if you would care to make this wonderful cookie.
And yes, it still falls into that Autumn/Fall category with the caramel flavor….doesn’t it?
Well, it sounds Fall-ish anyway!
Enjoy the beginning of your week my dear readers!
Love and Hugs
- 5 caramel candy squares, cut into 18 pieces
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- Kosher or Flaky salt
- Using kitchen shears, cut each caramel candy piece into about 18 pieces....doesn't have to be exact.
- Using your electric mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar and white sugar, then add the egg and vanilla.... mixing well
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and fine salt, stirring to blend
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add in the flour mixture until well blended.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet...this will make a very large cookie....if you prefer smaller cookies, use only 1 tablespoon. Be sure to place the cookies about 2 inches apart to allow for plenty of spreading.
- Gently press about 2-3 pieces of caramel near the center of each cookie, being careful not to press out the cookie. (I say 2 or 3 pieces because I kept popping little pieces of caramel in my mouth while decorating) 🙂
- Place the cookie sheets in a 375 degree preheated oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies start to brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cookies generously with the flaky salt or use kosher salt. Let cool on the baking sheet for about 2-3 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool
- Because butter is used in this recipe, the cookies will spread and crisp on the edges. While fresh from the oven, the cookies will easily break unless you allow them to cool completely