Avocado and Tomato Salad!
The Captain and I entertained out of state guests this week-end. And we managed to get a visit in to a Farmers Market.
I love fresh produce and you can’t get much fresher than from a market right on the property owners land.
I picked up some garlic and green onions and some of the most beautiful tomatoes…
As I held each tomato, my crazy little brain was imagining each dish I would create using these lovely tomatoes.
Of course, one has to grill a hamburger and place a large thick slice of tomato and sweet onion on the top of the sizzling burger.
BUT…there was also another simple recipe that immediately came to my mind.
The Simple Avocado and Tomato Salad…which really isn’t a salad at all.
It is simply sliced avocados and tomatoes…tossed in a little olive oil, lemon or lime juice, oregano and salt and freshly ground black pepper!
Soooo pretty and soooooo good!
I know the weather, in most parts of our country …is not being very cooperative. Cold, snow and ice.
But you can still have this salad and let your thoughts drift to warm sand and sunny beaches. 😉
Simple salad for a simple lifestyle in sunny Florida! Yum!
The printable recipe is below.
Have a great Monday!
- 2-3 Avocados, halved, pitted, and sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Lay out the tomato and avocado slices on a plate.
- In small pitcher (or measuring cup), combine olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper. Drizzle over avocados and tomatoes, carefully turning each to coat.
- Add additional salt and pepper...not too much, just enough to look pretty.
- Arrange the tomatoes and avocado on a pretty plate and garnish with a mint sprig.
- Remember that dried or bottled spices are stronger than fresh.
- It is easy to pit an avocado, just cut carefully around the length of the avocado and with your hands, twist the two parts apart. Using your knife, carefully "hit" into the pit (seed) and lift out of the avocado flesh. Then use a large spoon to gently scoop out the flesh from the rind, place the slippery avocado on a board and slice each half into slices.