Mac & Cheese was as common in our home growing up as water in the winter time.
I will explain, the drink at meals in the wintertime was plain water. It wasn’t until the summer months that Mother served Iced Tea, Kool-Aid or Lemonade.
Sounds strange by today’s standards, where iced drinks are served year round.
Even at breakfast when our parents drank coffee, (we were not allowed because it would stunt our growth…they would say) all kids in our family, drank water.
Perhaps that is why at my age now…I have to force myself to drink water. 🙂
I do drink water when I am really thirsty, but not with ice. Again, that was the way we drank our water with our meals….no ice!
Looking back, I suppose that was really a good thing. A soda or pop, as we called a soft drink, were very rare.
Sooooo I used to drink healthy, which is a good thing because we used to eat lots of mac and cheese.
The mac and cheese we ate in those days was not like the following recipe, which has three types of cheeses and is just wonderful.
Try this recipe and let me know what you think.
I am drinking Iced Tea as I type this and it is winter somewhere…..
I am a rebel! But you knew that about me didn’t you?
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3/4 pound elbow pasta or any of your favorites
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack
- 8 ounces Velveeta, cubed
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water with 1 tablespoon salt. The pasta should be tender but firm to the bite (Al dente).
- Remove the pasta and drain in colander
- In a saucepan heat the half and half over medium heat
- Remove the pan from the stove and allow the half-and-half to cool 5 minutes.
- Remove 2 cups of the half-and-half and slowly whisk it into the beaten eggs.
- Next, add the other cup of half-and-half. This will prevent the eggs from scrambling.
- Add 1 cup of the Cheddar cheese, all the mozzarella, Monterrey Jack, Velveeta, and Parmigiana Reggiano, and the last cup of milk into the saucepan.
- Heat the saucepan on medium-low heat to melt all the cheeses.
- Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Add in the mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and pepper.
- Add the pasta into the cheese sauce.
- Pour into a 4 quart baking dish.
- Add the other 1/2 cup of cheddar to the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Add crumbled bacon to the top.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- You can use the microwave to heat the half and half if desired.