I think you will like this recipe for Almond Cake.
It is not as light as say an Almond Wedding Cake, but it is good none-the-less. It is a small cake in that it is baked in one 8 inch cake pan.
The caramelized oranges combined with the almond cake make a delightful dessert or snack. These days I like anything with citrus in it. Very fresh tasting and the almond and the orange combination are like a marriage made in Heaven.
By the way…my spell check says caramelized is not spelled right, but does not give a suggestion. I have always pronounced it Care-a-mil-ized…not sure that is correct because I have heard it pronounced Kar-mil-ized. How do you pronounce it? Just askin’! 🙂
Can I make a confession to you? OK, you are my friends and I can tell you anything.
I am not fond of Florida oranges….Yep! I said it. They are small and do not have that bright, thick orange peel as do California oranges…. Nor is the flavor there. Many times, if the weather is not cool enough….they don’t have that juicy sweetness of California oranges. In fact many times in the grocery store…they are simply called Florida Citrus!
And while I am confessing…..When the Captain and I eat breakfast out….he always asks for grapefruit juice and you know what? Many restaurants do not have grapefruit juice….and the Captain says…”Why is that? We live in Florida for goodness sake!” Just sayin’. 🙂
Check out the printable recipe below!
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 orange (grated zest)
- 4 navel oranges
- Heat oven to 325 degrees
- Butter and flour an 8 inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups of the sugar until fluffy
- Add flour alternating with cream, in two additions.
- Add Salt
- Beat in the eggs one at a time
- Add almond extract and the grated orange zest
- Bake for 45 minutes to one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Peel 3 oranges removing all the white pith
- Cut crosswise into 1/2 inch rounds
- Cut the largest rounds from the middle... in half
- Squeeze juice from the fourth orange into a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup of sugar
- Cook over medium heat until caramel forms (about 5 minutes)
- Add orange rounds and cook until glazed ...for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve hot over warm or cooled cake.
- Room temperature eggs are important when baking. It makes the incorporation go smoothly. I like to serve both the cake and the glaze warm. You can omit the glaze but why would you want to? It is sooooo good. 😉 Enjoy!